Welcome to Kingdom Kids blog

Be inspire and continue your walk in God's kingdom. Always be reminded of the goodness of God. Jesus Christ gave up his life on Calvary so that everyone would have the opportunity to become "kingdom kids".

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Today on TVONE I sat in front of my television and watched the dedication of Dr. Martin Luther King's monument at the national mall in Washington. As I listened to the various speakers, heard what they needed to say, listen to the stories they wanted to share, my heart became full and tears began to flow.  Dr. King was a phenomenal leader chosen by God to be a world changer. I am grateful for what he did for humanity.  As I watch footage that reflect on his attributes to this nation I am moved with compassion. Hearing him speak allows me to feel in my heart the passion he had for equality, equality for all of God's people. That passion allowed him to fight and I know it was not in his strength or might but the Lord's.

I listened to the stories, memories, political history and opinions, songs, poems, remarks and passion of great men and women such as John Lewis, Andrew Young, Al Sharpton, Rev. Joseph Lowery, Cecily Tyson, Diahann Carrol, 12 yr. old Amandla Stenberg, Marian Wright Edelman, Nikki Giovanni, Herman "Skip" Mason and our very own President Barack Obama. This great celebration ended with Stevie Wonder singing, "Happy Birthday" and the showing of Dr. King's "I have a Dream" speech. These men and women spoke of a man that did what he knew was the "right" thing to do for mankind. It made me look at my life and say am I living my life meaningfully? 

I enjoyed hearing Herman "Skip" Mason, Jr. general president of Alpha Phi Alpha tell the story of how the organization decided 28 years ago they wanted  a memorial of Dr. King to be in our nations wall.  And how they rejoiced being there to witness it 28 years later.  Harry Johnson, CEO of the MLK foundation spoke of how "joy cometh in the morning". That in spite of earthquakes and storms that delayed the dedication, today he rejoiced. He said  this is "our memorial, the worlds memorial" and I am grateful they got the job done.

Roland Martin did a wonderful job of covering this dedication and those that sat with him sharing history as well as memories, stories and viewpoints of Dr. King and the hope he gave to a country.  It caused me to see him and what he stood for in a clearer way

I know all of us do not have the same call on our life as Dr. King but we do all have a call on our life. To be in the place God  has us for such a time as this and to make an impact on those that we have been placed around.

I could hear the choir sing Glory Glory Hallelujah his truth is marching on,  and I could see the First Family and the King family walk along the memorial site holding hands conversating, and something came over me. I realized I too must leave my imprint in this world, within my own home within my community.

Jeremiah 29:11 wells up inside of me reminding me that God has plans for me of a good and an expected end. But not just me, you as well.

Let us wallow not in the valley of despair.  I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.
                                                           -Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
                                                            

Remember God is WITHU4U
Always strive for a better tomorrow by keeping the faith.

K. Smith

No comments: